Sunday, September 02, 2007

ER - No, we're not talking about the TV show either

Hi all -
I apologize many times over for being slack at posting. Going back to work has severely cramped my blogging time. For that, I apologize greatly!

On Tuesday (early) morning Andrew woke up around 2:30am telling me his tummy hurt. Of course I thought he might need to throw up... no biggie. Five minutes later he is screaming in pain, shaking and sweating profusely. Nothing I do soothes him. Being the executive decision maker I am I went into the bedroom, woke Robbie up and lickety split we were on our way to Wake Med. Thankfully the waiting room at the ER was not full and we were seen promptly. As soon as we get in the triage room Andrew pukes all over his freshly washed blanket and clothes. I'm hear to tell you all that I've never in all my 29 years encountered vomit like this. It was nasty and there aren't enough adjectives to describe. I knew from that point something really wasn't right with my baby. As soon as they put us in a room the doctor comes in asks what's happening and immediately gets a concerned look on her face. She begins to give us the options of what it "could" be. She wants to do x-rays, get an IV in and go from there. The nurse, going forward known as "Miss Lady", comes in and makes 2 attempts to get an IV started. It's a no go. Not because Andrew is acting up, but b/c she just can't get it in. My poor child's right arm is bruised like we've put a beating on him like never before. In her nicest nurse voice she says, "We need to get him to pee or we'll have to put a catheter in. Dear Lord! It's bad enough the screaming from pain hasn't stopped, he's puked again, his right arm is jacked up with bruises and now he needs a catheter?? OMG! Thankfully Miss Lady offers to try alternate options before going to option Z. Before she worries about a urine sample they wheel Andrew off to have his x-rays done. I must brag on my child and tell you that given the circumstances he was a complete angel. He really took everthing in stride. We get back to Andrew's room and the doctor comes in to tell us he has a blockage in his large intestine. She throws out the term intussusception. She wants to move Andrew to Big Wake Med to the Children's Hospital for monitoring. At this point Robbie and I are completely worried that Andrew will have to undergo surgery to fix this problem. The nurse comes in to give Andrew a shot of morphine (in his IV - 3rd time was a charm) to help with his pain. You could tell when the morphine hit b/c he eased off into a nap. The medical transport team gathers us up, puts Andrew in the big truck and off we go. Even in his pain, Andrew makes sure to tell Miss Lady "thank you". At Big Wake the nurses are wonderful! At this time Andrew is bouncing off the walls. I'm not sure if the morphine had an adverse affect, but he was geared up. The doctors view his e-rays and decide that surgery isn't necessary given his current state. They believe Andrew has corrected the issue on his own. NOTE: While we were waiting for the transport team Andrew passed gas that sounded like it came from a sumo wrestler. I firmly believe this was the time he caused the part(s) of his intestines to move back in their repsective places. After 9 hours of hospital time, we were discharged. PTL! Andrew seems to be doing fine now. Every time he shows my his tummy I worry it's starting to hurt. So far so good.

For those who believe prayer is for sissies and doesn't work, I'm here to tell you it does and my child is living proof.

Love to you all!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a crazy night you guys had! I'm so glad all turned out well and that Andrew is doing much better. And I agree, prayer is a mighty and powerful thing!

Rachel said...

I'm so sorry you all had to go through such an ordeal. I had no idea such a thing ever happened. Next time you call me cause you know I would be on my knees for you, praying to the Great Physician! I'm so glad he's all better. Let me know if you need anything.

Avery & Hailey said...

Oh my gosh! I'm so sorry about Andrew and you guys having to go through that!

Leslie said...

Oh my word! I just read your entire post with my hand over my mouth and shaking my head. Your poor family! I know it must have been horrible to see Andrew in so much pain. I am relieved and thrilled he is better!

Lora said...

WOW! What craziness! Thank God your little boy is okay! HUGS!